The Mother of Sorrows Catholic Church offers a magnificent and peaceful space for those in search of fellowship while visiting Put-in-Bay and South Bass Island. Locals and tourists alike love the stately sanctuary and stately beauty of this stone church.
Mother of Sorrows Catholic Church Details
During the summer season, worshippers may attend mass on Wednesdays and Saturdays at 5:30 pm, Sundays at 10:30 am. The parish is located at 632 Catawba Avenue, nearby the Erie Islands Branch Library, Put-in-Bay High School, and the Town Hall.
Other places of worship on the island include St. John at the Bay Lutheran Church and St. Paul’s Episcopal Church.
Mother of Sorrows is a popular spot for weddings and baptisms with ceremonies for both locals and long-time visitors. Funerals are also regularly held here.
The church also sponsors the popular Put-in-Bay Pooch Parade. Held every May, canines and their human companions parade through the streets of downtown. Compete for prizes awarded in several categories and enjoy this cat-free event.
Besides donations received directly at the church, the annual Miller Boat Race also donates funds. This challenging race charts a course throughout the most beautiful parts of the island, beginning and ending at the Boathouse Restaurant.
The History of Mother of Sorrows Catholic Church
Put-in-Bay rose to prominence in the mid-1800’s. After it gained nationwide attention during the War of 1812 and the Battle of Lake Erie, this lovely little island steadily grew in population throughout the century. Besides its lovely setting and proximity to the mainland, South Bass Island was also ideal for grape growing and the wine business thrived here.
By 1866 vineyards were the main source of income. It also enjoyed a stellar reputation as a perfect vacation spot. A local government was enacted in 1876 with the three islands, Middle, South, and Gibraltar, organized into a township and Put-in-Bay incorporated as the village.
Catholic residents began holding services in their homes until a small church was erected in 1876. As the population grew, both for locals and visitors alike, a larger church was needed.
Completed in 1928, Mother of Sorrows church features a stunning rose window. The campus also includes the stone sanctuary and parish. A beautiful lawn welcomes worshippers and provides the perfect spot of wedding photos.
This church enjoys a special place in many people’s hearts. Families, whether they reside on the Bass Islands year round or visit during the summer, return to this place again and again. Community and fellowship is paramount to this wonderful house of worship.